Department Admission Requirements
Admission to the MS in AT program must be completed through ATCAS.
Application forms for admission to the M.S. and Ph.D. graduate programs in Exercise Science may be obtained here.
Applicants to the D.P.T. Program should submit an application through the Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service.
Applicants to the MPH program should submit an application packet through the School of Public Health Application Service .
Graduate assistantships are not ordinarily available to students enrolled in the Doctor of Physical Therapy program. In some instances students may be offered a graduate assistantship during their final two years of study. All graduate assistantships must be related to the student’s research and approved by the program director.
Master of Public Health (MPH) in Physical Activity and Public Health
Applicants to the MPH-PAPH must meet the general requirements of the University of South Carolina Graduate School. Applicants must also have completed an undergraduate program with appropriate preparation in the field in which graduate work is to be undertaken. A demonstration of a broad educational background reinforced with public health interests and experiences in physical activity must be included.
GRE is not required but recommended. Applicants whose native language is not English are also required to submit a satisfactory score on the TOEFL or the IELTS Intl. Academic Course Type 2 exam. The minimum acceptable score on the TOEFL is 230 (computer-based) or 570 (paper-based). The minimum acceptable overall band score on the IELTS Intl. Academic Course Type 2 exam is 6.5.
Applicants must include an official transcript from each school or college previously attended (all prior postsecondary school study must be represented). In addition, there must be at least three letters of recommendation and a detailed written statement indicating the applicant’s area of interest and career goals, along with a current and complete resume.
Other requirements include:
- graduated with a rank in the upper half of the class (GPA>3.00)
- an official transcript from each school or college previously attended (all prior postsecondary school study must be represented)
- a minimum of three letters of recommendation
- a detailed written statement describing the area of interest and specific career goals.
Master of Science (M.S.)
A four-year baccalaureate degree or its equivalent in exercise science, kinesiology, biology, chemistry, pre-med, nutrition, health sciences, physiology, psychology, public health, physical therapy, medical doctor, from an accredited institution
- Academic prerequisites: Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Grade point average of 3.00/4.00 or higher
- GRE is not required but recommended
- For international applicants, a satisfactory score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - minimum score of 80 internet-based, 230 computer-based, or 570 paper-based or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Course Type 2 exam - minimum overall band score of 6.5. This requirement may be waived for applicants that have earned a prior degree from a US institution.
Resume or CV
- Statement of Purpose and Objectives describing your academic and research interests, relevant work experiences, academic/professional goals and objectives and potential mentors
- At least three letters of recommendation from academic and/or professional sources (at least one of these letters must be from an academic source)
- Official transcripts from all schools or colleges previously attended
- Non-US institution transcripts must be verified by World Education Services (WES) or equivalent evaluation service. Please submit a comprehensive course-by-course evaluation (WES ICAP)
- GRE scores
- TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for those whose native language is not English
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
Applicants for the Ph.D. program in exercise science must have an earned baccalaureate degree in exercise science or related discipline from an accredited institution and should participate in a personal interview with the departmental admissions committee. A comprehensive academic profile is used in arriving at admission decisions. The following materials and standards are required:
- Graduate School application with stated desired area of research emphasis with the required, nonrefundable application fee
- GRE is not required but recommended
- transcripts of all previous college/university work
- letters of recommendation from at least three professors with knowledge of the applicant’s academic performance
- a writing sample addressing future professional goals and specific research interests
- current curriculum vitae.
Doctor of Physical Therapy (D.P.T.)
Applicants for the D.P.T. degree in the Department of Exercise Science must have an earned baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution. Applicants are reviewed for admission by a faculty committee and are formally approved by the Graduate School. The following materials and standards are required:
- Completed PTCAS Application
- Graduate Record Examination scores of 146 or better on each of the verbal and quantitative sections, and 3.5 on the writing section.
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the applicant’s academic and/or clinical skills
- Official transcripts from all previous college/university work (upon acceptance to the DPT Program)
- $40 supplemental application fee paid through the USC Marketplace
The applicant’s transcripts, regardless of major, must demonstrate successful completion or enrollment in the following prerequisites:
|General Physics 1||8|
|Anatomy and Physiology 1||8|
|Total Credit Hours||35|
Courses must include a laboratory.