Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, M.S.N.
The Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) program is designed to prepare graduates to provide holistic, mental health care integrating neuroscientific principles of behavior, experience and psychopharmacology with psychotherapy, consultation and trauma-related care across the lifespan. The PMHNP will be prepared to practice in diverse settings including nurse-managed clinics, inpatient psychiatric facilities, home health, private psychiatric practices, addiction centers, general ambulatory clinics and schools.
This curriculum prepares nurses to sit for national certification as Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.
- Apply theoretical knowledge to the practice of advanced nursing roles.
- Utilize evidence to address population health problems.
- Demonstrate professionalism at the advanced nursing level in the clinical setting.
- Pursue quality, effectiveness, and innovation in shared leadership of interprofessional health teams.
Requirements for Earning the M.S.N. Degree Include the Following
- completion of an approved program of study;
- completion of an applied research course, NURS 791 (3), or a thesis, NURS 799 (6);
- a GPA of 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) on all courses attempted for graduate credit and all courses numbered 700 and above;
- a GPA of 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) an all courses on the approved program of study;
- and passing a comprehensive assessment during the last semester of the program.
Total program 47-50 credit hours.
|NURS 700||Theoretical and Conceptual Foundation for Nursing||3|
|NURS 720||Clinical Application of Population Analysis||3|
|NURS 717||Application of Basic Statistics for Nursing Practice & Service Management||3|
|NURS 790||Research Methods for Nursing||3|
|NURS 791||Seminar in Clinical Nursing Research||3-6|
|or NURS 799||Thesis Preparation|
|NURS 702||Pharmacologic Mgmt in Pediatric, Adult, & Gerontological Patients Across Hlthcare Delivery Continuum||3|
|NURS 704||Advanced Health Assessment and Diagnostic Reasoning 1||3|
|NURS 707||Advanced Pathophysiology for Nurses||3|
|NURS 718||Diagnostic Interpretation and Therapeutic Modalities||3|
|NURS 761||Neuroscientific Basis for Pharmacological & Nonpharmacological Treatments for Psychiatric Conditions||4|
|NURS 763||Advanced Psychiatric Nurse Practicum I: Management of Psychiatric/Mental Health Conditions 2||6|
|NURS 764||Advanced Psychiatric Nurse Practicum II: Management of Complex Psychiatric/Mental Health Conditions 2||6|
|NURS 768||Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner: Legal, Ethical, and Role Transition||2|
|NURS 768A||Advanced Psychiatric Nurse Practicum III: Role Development 2||2|
|Total Credit Hours||47-50|
Indicates on campus immersion course.
Indicates practicum course.