Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Certificate
The Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Certificate of Graduate Study (post-master's certificate) is restricted to students who hold a master’s degree in nursing. The program of study is designed to augment the student’s prior graduate study through advanced practice preparation to provide holistic, mental health care integrating neuroscientific principles of behavior, experience and psychopharmacology with psychotherapy, consultation and trauma-related care across the lifespan. The PMHNP will be prepared to practice in diverse settings including nurse-managed clinics, inpatient psychiatric facilities, home health, private psychiatric practices, addiction centers, general ambulatory clinics and schools.
This curriculum prepares nurses to sit for national certification as Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.
- Demonstrate proficiency in psychopharmacology.
- Conduct and demonstrate competency in a psychiatric evaluation.
The Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Certificate program offers two entry points for students:
- M.S.N. certified and practicing as an APRN (please note after admission a GAP analysis will be done to determine specific plan of study based on the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties LACE components).
- M.S.N. not certified as Advanced Practice Nurses
Degree Requirements (18-32 Hours)
Requirements for earning the Certificate include:
- Completion of an approved program of study;
- A GPA of 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) on all courses attempted for graduate credit and all courses numbered 700 and above;
- A GPA of a 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) on all courses on the approved program of study
- Minimum 18 Hours for students already certified for advanced practice nursing who need to obtain additional certification.
Advanced Practice Core Requirements (12 hours)
|NURS 702||Pharmacologic Mgmt in Pediatric, Adult, & Gerontological Patients Across Hlthcare Delivery Continuum 3||3|
|NURS 704||Advanced Health Assessment and Diagnostic Reasoning 2,3||3|
|NURS 707||Advanced Pathophysiology for Nurses 3||3|
|NURS 718||Diagnostic Interpretation and Therapeutic Modalities 3||3|
|Total Credit Hours||12|
Required Concentration Courses Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (18-20 credits)
|NURS 761||Neuroscientific Basis for Pharmacological & Nonpharmacological Treatments for Psychiatric Conditions||4|
|NURS 763||Advanced Psychiatric Nurse Practicum I: Management of Psychiatric/Mental Health Conditions 1||6|
|NURS 764||Advanced Psychiatric Nurse Practicum II: Management of Complex Psychiatric/Mental Health Conditions 1||6|
|NURS 768||Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner: Legal, Ethical, and Role Transition||2|
|NURS 768A||Advanced Psychiatric Nurse Practicum III: Role Development 3||2|
Indicates courses with practicum hours
Indicates on campus immersion course
Students pursuing the Certificate of Graduate Study in Advanced Practice Nursing who are certified, practicing and meet the LACE components as Advanced Practice Nurses may not be required to take one or all of these courses. Determination will be made after admission via GAP Analysis.