Health Promotion, Education, and Behavior, M.P.H.
See the department website for details. Admission requirements follow those of The Graduate School and include:
- a completed application
- official transcripts from all post-secondary schools and colleges previously attended, including non-degree courses taken
- evidence of academic performance at a B or better level on academic transcripts
- three letters of recommendation from academic and/or professional sources
- a letter of intent which describes professional goals and objectives, and how the applicant became interested in the field of health promotion, education, and behavior.
- satisfactory score on the TOEFL or the IELTS Intl. Academic Course Type 2 exam for applicants whose native language is not English. The minimum acceptable score on the TOEFL is 80 (Internet-based) or 570 (paper-based). The minimum acceptable overall band score on the IELTS Intl. Academic Course Type 2 exam is 6.5.
- current resume or curriculum vitae.
Admissions process information and links can be found at the Arnold School of Public Health webpage.
Applications for the MPH program are made through the new Schools of Public Health Application System (SOPHAS). Please go to http://www.sophas.org for further details. Applications for the combined MSW/MPH programs are made through the Graduate School.
Only single program applications are accepted, so you may only apply to one program at a time (unless you are applying to the MSW/MPH program or certificate program). Once received, your application and credentials are sent for review by the HPEB faculty. After reviewing your credentials, the department makes a recommendation to The Graduate School which officially grants admission. We will inform you of the department’s recommendation regarding admission, but official notice of admission comes from the USC Graduate School.
You are encouraged to review carefully the information provided on the above websites before beginning the application process. If you have further questions, you may contact:
HPEB Graduate Director
Casey Goldston Giraudy
HPEB Academic Programs Coordinator
Office of Student and Alumni Services
Degree Requirements (45 Hours)
School of Public Health Core Requirements (16 Hours)
|PUBH 724||Quantitative Methods for Public Health Practice I||3|
|PUBH 725||Quantitative Methods for Public Health Practice II||3|
|PUBH 726||Qualitative Methods for Public Health Practice||3|
|PUBH 730||Public Health Systems, Policy, and Leadership||3|
|PUBH 735||Practical Applications of Public Health Planning||4|
|Total Credit Hours||16|
Department Core Course Requirements (12 Hours)
|HPEB 701||Theoretical Foundations of Health Promotion||3|
|HPEB 707||Health Promotion Research Methods||3|
|HPEB 710||Evaluation of Health Promotion Programs||3|
|HPEB 748||Community Health Development||3|
|Total Credit Hours||12|
Elective Courses (12 Hours)
- Courses specific to the student’s area/s of interest with approval of the student’s academic advisor. Electives may be chosen from HPEB or from courses in the University that support the overall educational goals of the student.
Applied Practice Experience (5 Hours)
|HPEB 797||Applied Practice Experience||5|
|Total Credit Hours||5|