A minimum of 44 credit hours is required for the Master of Science with a major in Biostatistics. Students are required to have two semesters of calculus or will be expected to make up the deficit beyond the minimum program of study. Additional courses may be required to meet prerequisites or to accommodate electives. All department core courses must be passed with a grade of “B” or better. Failure to do so will necessitate repeating the course; these courses can only be repeated once. Course requirements are given below.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to evaluate a given health related problem and to identify the most appropriate statistical technique (e.g., t-test, contingency table, correlation) for analysis.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to interpret the results of a statistical analysis and to communicate such interpretations in an easily comprehendible manner.
- Display a mastery of traditional and newly developed statistical techniques, including multi-variable methods for continuous and categorical data analysis.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to use statistical software packages to obtain, manage, and analyze public health data.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to finish a thesis and communicate the results.
School of Public Health Core (3 Hours)
|PUBH 700||Perspectives in Public Health||3|
|Total Credit Hours||3|
Department Core (16 Hours)
|BIOS 701||Concepts and Methods of Biostatistics||3|
|EPID 701||Concepts and Methods of Epidemiology||3|
|BIOS 745||Seminar in Biostatistics||1|
|BIOS 757||Intermediate Biostatistics||3|
|BIOS 758||Advanced Linear Models in Biostatistics||3|
|BIOS 709||Basic Software for Public Health||1|
|BIOS 711||Introduction to R Programming||1|
|BIOS 712||Introduction to Stata Software||1|
|Total Credit Hours||16|
Major Courses (16 Hours)
|BIOS 746||Introduction to Complex Survey Data Analysis||1|
|BIOS 759||Theory and Methods of Discrete Data Analysis||3|
|BIOS 761||Survival Analysis||3|
|BIOS 770||Applied Longitudinal Data Analysis||3|
|STAT 512||Mathematical Statistics||3|
|STAT 513||Theory of Statistical Inference||3|
|Select one of the following: 1||3|
|Biostatistical Methods in Clinical Trials|
|Research Design in the Biomedical Sciences|
|Biostatistical Aspects of Bioinformatics|
|Introduction to Quantile Regression|
|Categorical Data Analysis|
|Survival Analysis II|
|Generalized Linear Models|
|Bayesian Biostatistics and Computation|
|Intermediate Epidemiologic Methods|
|Nonparametric Statistical Methods|
|Total Credit Hours||19|
The student may choose an elective from outside of this list, with the permission of their advisor.
Thesis (6 Hours)
|BIOS 799||Thesis Preparation||6|
|Total Credit Hours||6|