Interdisciplinary Studies (College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management)
The Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies (B.A.I.S.) degree program serves motivated students who have unique educational goals. Adult students who are already employed and students who possess an associate degree from an accredited institution may find the interdisciplinary studies program appropriate to their needs. Since the program is individualized, each applicant must be able to articulate appropriate academic goals.
The program has three curriculum components: general education courses, the interdisciplinary major, and an elective category. The interdisciplinary major is composed of upper-division course work which is uniquely defined by the goals of each student. The interdisciplinary major is complemented by an integrative senior seminar.
Each student must submit an application to the B.A.I.S. admissions committee. If approved, an academic advisor will help the student design an individualized program of study. The program of study must include at least 36 hours of upper-level USC course work and conform to all general University academic regulations for the baccalaureate degree. The B.A.I.S. requires a minimum of 120 approved hours to graduate. A minimum of 30 USC hours must be earned after acceptance into the B.A.I.S. program.
Subject to University and departmental policy, students may apply credits earned through independent study toward the B.A.I.S. degree. Up to 60 semester hours earned in an accredited associate degree program may be accepted toward fulfillment of B.A.I.S. requirements. University policy also permits up to 30 semester hours earned in correspondence, telecommunications, service schools, and off-campus extension classes to be accepted in partial fulfillment of baccalaureate degree requirements.
Baccalaureate Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies after Three Undergraduate Years and One Year of Medical or Dental School. Upon application to the College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management, a student who has completed 90 hours or more of undergraduate work at the University of South Carolina (and the last 30 of which have been in residence at the University) with a minimum grade point average of 2.00 will be granted the baccalaureate degree in interdisciplinary studies provided that:
- The applicant has satisfied all graduation requirements for the B.A.I.S. degree at USC, except for the final 30 hours.
- The applicant has not applied these USC credits to obtaining a baccalaureate degree from another institution.
- The applicant submits an official transcript from an accredited medical or dental school demonstrating satisfactory completion of the first year of study leading to a postbaccalaureate degree.
- The dean of the College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management certifies that the requirements prescribed for the degree have been met.
Students enrolled in the University of South Carolina should contact the dean of the College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management if they plan to leave the University prior to completion of a baccalaureate program to enter an accredited medical or dental school.
Admission to the B.A.I.S. degree program requires acceptance to the University (see “Admissions” section for application procedures) and approval by the B.A.I.S. Admissions Committee.
Since enrollment is limited, an admissions committee has been established to review applications for admission to the B.A.I.S. degree program. Specific application procedures are as follows:
Students currently enrolled at the University of South Carolina:
- Complete an application form obtained from the College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management, stating how the B.A.I.S. degree will better help you meet your particular interests and educational goals.
- Send a transcript of all postsecondary education with your application to the dean, College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management.
- Develop and submit a proposed program that you believe will help you meet your educational and career goals.
The committee will accept applications subject to the following deadlines: fall—July 30; spring—November 30; summer—April 30. Allow two weeks for reply after application is received.
Students not currently enrolled at the University of South Carolina: Admission to the University must be obtained before admission to the B.A.I.S. program can be considered.