Linda Nigles, Chair
The Department of Physical Education offers a B.S. degree in physical education and a minor in school athletic coaching.
Admission to Professional Programs
Students must be formally admitted to the professional programs in teacher certification. Specific requirements are listed below.
The teacher certification program is an CAEP-approved program that prepares people to teach physical education and coach in public and private schools from grades K to 12. The requirements for acceptance into the professional program in teacher certification include a minimum 2.75 overall GPA, a passing score on the South Carolina required basic skills assessment, a passing score on the Educational and Economic Development Act (EEDA) assessment, a minimum of 60 credit hours, and a C or better in EDFI 300, EDPY 401, PEDU 570, ENGL 101, and ENGL 102. For a complete listing and description of all program requirements, please refer to the USC Department of Physical Education Student Handbook.
Transfer admission into degree programs in the Department of Physical Education
Physical Education Teacher Certification
- Students from regionally accredited colleges and universities must have a minimum overall cumulative GPA of 2.50 (on a 4.00 scale) to enter preprofessional programs in physical education. Note: To be eligible to take upper level Physical Education coursework and for progression into the Professional Program in Education, students must achieve a minimum 2.75 overall GPA.
- A grade of C or better must be earned on all courses listed for admission to the professional program in physical education.
- Students may not transfer credit for any course which carries a grade less than C.
A student in physical education must earn a C or better in all major course work, including major and minor emphases, education courses, required sciences, analytical reasoning option, and ENGL 101 and ENGL 102.
Students may attempt to earn a satisfactory grade in a major course no more than two times. Only if a valid case for taking the course a third time is established will such be allowed. Validity of a case will be determined by departmental review of a formal petition. Completion of remedial course work may be required.
Standards for general eligibility to continue in the University are described in the bulletin. The Department of Physical Education has additional standards.
Teacher Certification in Physical Education
- If the semester, yearly, or cumulative grade point average of a student is below 2.75, the student will receive notification in writing from the department of the GPA jeopardy.
- If a student has two consecutive semesters of grade point averages below 2.75 and a cumulative grade point average below 2.75, the student will be suspended from academic programs in the Department of Physical Education.
- To be reinstated the student must achieve an overall grade point average of 2.75 and have the endorsement of the Department of Physical Education.