Language and Literacy, Ph.D.
This is an archived copy of the 2020-2021 bulletin. To access the most recent version of the bulletin, please visit https://academicbulletins.sc.edu.
The Ph.D. degree prepares students to fill positions in a wide variety of settings: higher education, schools, agencies, and private practice. Students in the language and literacy Ph.D. program take a minimum of 60 semester hours beyond their master’s degree. At the end of their course work, students take a comprehensive examination, write a proposal, conduct research, compose a dissertation, and defend their work to program faculty.
- Foundational Knowledge. Candidates have knowledge of the foundations of reading and writing processes and instruction.
- Instructional Strategies and Curriculum Materials. Candidates use a wide range of instructional practices, approaches, methods, and curriculum materials to support reading and writing instruction.
- Assessment, Diagnosis, and Evaluation. Candidates use a variety of assessment tools and practices to plan and evaluate effective reading instruction.
- Creating a Literate Environment. Candidates create a literate environment that fosters reading and writing by integrating foundational knowledge, use of instructional practices, approaches and methods, curriculum materials, and the appropriate use of assessments.
- Professional Development. Candidates view professional development as a career-long effort and responsibility.
In addition to The Graduate School’s application requirements, applicants must submit a letter of intent.
Degree Requirements (60 Post-Masters Hours)
Required Courses in Language and Literacy (21 Hours)
|EDRD 800||Literacy Education P-12||3|
|EDRD 801||Critical Perspective on English/Language Arts||3|
|EDRD 803||Pedagogical Applications of Reader Response Theory||3|
|EDRD 811||Cultural Perspective on Psychological and Social Foundations of Literacy Learning||3|
|Select three additional language and literacy courses as approved by advisor||9|
|Total Credit Hours||21|
Internship (6 Hours)
|EDRD 850||Internship in Language and Literacy Education (May be repeated once for a total of 6 hours.)||6|
|Total Credit Hours||6|
Required Courses in Research (15 Hours)
|EDRM 710||Educational Statistics I||3|
|EDRM 720||Educational Measurement||3|
|EDFI 731||Qualitative Inquiry||3|
|Select two additional courses in either quantitative or quantitative methodology||6|
|Total Credit Hours||15|
Electives (6 Hours)
- 6 hours of electives as approved by advisor.
Dissertation Preparation (12 Hours)
- Select 12 hours